Jupiter’s Great Red Spot
- Jupiter’s Great Red Spot (GRS) is an atmospheric storm that has been raging in Jupiter’s southern Hemisphere for at least 400 years.
- About 100 years ago, the storm covered over 40,000 km of the surface. It is currently about one half of that size and seems to be shrinking.
- At the present rate that it is shrinking it could become circular by 2040. The GRS rotates counter-clockwise(anti-cyclonic) and makes a full rotation every six Earth days.
- It is not known exactly what causes the Great Red Spot’s reddish color. The most popular theory, which is supported by laboratory experiments, holds that the color may be caused by complex organic molecules, red phosphorus, or other sulfur compounds.
- The GRS is about two to three times larger than Earth. Winds at its oval edges can reach up to 425 mph (680 km/h)
- Infrared data has indicated that the Great Red Spot is colder (and thus, higher in altitude) than most of the other clouds on the planet
Mount Nyiragongo is a stratovolcano situated in the Virunga Mountains of the Albertine Rift inside Virunga National Park, in the Democratic Republic of the Congo. The volcano has an elevation of 3,470 m (11,385 ft).
The main crater is about two km wide and usually contains a lava lake (see photo) that has at times been the most voluminous known lava lake in recent history. The depth of the lava lake varies considerably. Not much is known about how long the volcano has been erupting, but since 1882, it has erupted at least 34 times with the two most recent eruptions occurring in 1977 and 2002, both resulting in destruction of nearby human habitats and loss of lives, mostly due to asphyxiation by carbon dioxide.
Activity at Nyiragongo is ongoing, but currently confined to the crater.
Nyiragongo and nearby Nyamuragira are together responsible for 40% of Africa’s historical volcanic eruptions.
The Democratic Republic of Congo is home to a total of five different active and extinct volcanoes.
animaniacs was ahead of its time
I have to remind myself and the angry fandom side of tumblr about this periodically or this damn website might implode
Announcement: Henceforth my tumblr will be a Prince George Appreciation Blog.
Fuming, 2011. Sulphur Springs, St. Lucia.
The first successful working laser, constructed by Dr. Ted Maiman in 1960.
Note that the killing of the first born did not involve just the killing of the children. It seems to apply to ALL first born, adult or child. Very strange that the Egyptians failed to note this anywhere in their history.
Also, I call BS on the argument that slavery in Biblical days was different than more modern slavery. It may have been different for select groups of individuals, but mostly it was the same old shit.